Saturday, November 4, 2023

What Is The Best Exercise For Weight Loss?

a Post on WebMD

When it comes to dropping pounds, there’s no substitute for pushing back from your plate. But what about exercise?

While it’s important for overall health and mental well-being, it’s probably not going to help you dramatically shrink your size. Exercise is good for Cardio and can boost your metabolism but as far as weight loss, not so much.

“It has dozens and dozens of benefits, but when it comes to producing clinically meaningful weight loss -- weight loss of 5% to 10% or more -- you really want to focus on dieting.”

Exercising when you’re trying to lose weight is tricky. It does help burn calories, but not nearly as many as not eating those calories in the first place. And exercise increases appetite, so if you’re working out intensely, it’s really easy to eat back all the calories you just burned.

Martin recommends that people who are trying to lose weight focus on moderate-intensity physical activities, like brisk walking or gardening.

The National Weight Control Registry, which tracks people who’ve successfully lost 30 pounds and kept it off for a year or longer, reports that 94% of members have increased their physical activity in some way. The most frequently reported form of exercise is walking.

Where exercise becomes critically important is for weight maintenance. Martin says most people who successfully lose weight and keep it off exercise a lot -- nearly an hour a day.

I want to add my 2 cents about my weight loss. I have lost over 60 pounds over several years. I believe as we age, we should lose weight every year we get older. A person's body function will slow down as we age, especially over 50. I do exercise, mostly walking, some biking, and some gardening. I don't workout one hour a day, except when I bike. I bike for about 90 minutes when I bike. I also do some yoga and stretches every morning. I have maintained 160 pounds for the last 10 years. Losing Weight and maintaining is all about diet. 

You can't eat the same foods that put the weight on in the first place. I have a protein shake in the morning. I eat chicken breasts almost one breast every day. I say almost because sometimes I have fish baked like a piece of salmon. I always have vegetables with a hot meal. I don't eat dessert but I will eat a piece of fruit. 

The hard part for me was to stop drinking alcohol. I wasn't really overindulging but Beer or wine can be 200 calories per glass. Even if you drink light beer it's about 100 calories each. Mixed drinks can be more than 200 calories each. I stopped drinking calories period. You don't have to cut back on food. You have to eat food with less calories. I only eat about 1600 calories a day. Most Americans drink over 2000 calories a day. 

Losing weight is really about losing body fat. We can't all lose weight the same way. The way I lose weight might not work for you, but you still have to keep trying. I tried everything for many years and had no luck. If I lost any weight it would always come back in a few months. When I started to eat healthy I finally started to lose weight. At the beginning, you won't get the scale to budge, but after 3 months you'll start to see a difference. Your body will take time to adjust to any change you make in your diet. Progress doesn't happen overnight or not even in the first few weeks. The people who tell you they can't lose weight are the ones who give up.

Follow me on X, the former Twitter, @ray0369 to get a link to my latest posts.

If you want to lose your body fat look for my e-books at the websites listed below. You’ll get information on Healthy eating, exercise, and diet. Instead of spending hours on the internet reading dozens of posts, you can save time by picking up one of my e-books. There are two e-books. “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight?” is available at all the online bookstores selling for $3.99. Go to any of the websites below and search the title to find my e-book. This book gives you all you need to lose weight without spending money on gym memberships, diet plans, or meal plans. 

Look for my first book at Amazon.com, bn.com, iBooks, Kobo.com, Scribd.com, or Gardner Books in the U.K.

My new e-book is available on Smashwords.com and other online bookstores. Just type “getting to a Healthy Weight” in the search box at the top of the home page. 

Look for my podcast by searching “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight” on the podcast app that you use. You’ll see a piece of my book cover.




No comments:

Post a Comment