Sunday, March 12, 2023

The Science Behind Weight Loss

 Don't dismiss this post thinking that it's a boring article that I don't need to read. For years I did that very thing. I realized after years of making weight loss mistakes, that maybe I need to read up on weight loss. I found out it's not really rocket science. 





Yes, I went for years yo-yoing from 190 to 175 knowing all along that I should be 160. Finally, after I retired, I decided it was time to lose my fat. That's when I finally realized it wasn't weight that I need to lose, it was my fat. I put away the scale. It took we a long time to realize that if I lose inches around my waist, I will look and feel better. 

I tried several diets, but when you lose weight by simply cutting back on the same food you're eating, you may lose weight, but you aren't losing fat. 

Here is where the science comes in. People that are thin and have very little fat can eat everything because they have a very active metabolism. And why Is that you might ask? Because their body mass [which is muscle tissue vs. body fat] is 75% to 85% muscle mass and only a small percentage of body fat. That high percentage of muscle mass is what keeps your metabolism running faster than someone with a low percentage of muscle mass and a higher percentage of body fat. 

The calories you eat create energy and more muscle mass will require more energy. To lose fat you want your body to burn your body fat for energy. You do that by eating a low-fat, low-calorie diet. 

So, what does that look like. Here comes the hard part. First, you won't starve. You need to stock up on chicken breasts and frozen or fresh vegetables and fresh fruits. You want to stay away from sugar. Anything that has sugar or any sweeteners and don't add sugar to anything. Salads are good, but no bottled dressing. Use lemon juice from fresh lemons. Natural foods are good but any food that comes in bottles or cans should be avoided. Also, don't consume any dairy products and don't drink anything with calories. Preparing your food will also be a little different. Avoid adding any gravy or sauces to your food. You can use salt or other spices because they have no calories. 

The next part of the program is doing some extra activities to help activate your metabolism. Extra walking should be enough to stimulate your metabolism. About one hour extra walking every day. One haft hour in the morning and one-half hour in the evening. 

The benefits will be tremendous. It will take time, about 3 months to see measurable results. You can eat two hot meals a day, you won't gain weight. Eat all the fresh product you want and a chicken breast at every meal and that's okay. I know that can be hard for most of us. Some canned foods are okay. Canned fish in water is okay. Most canned foods have lost their nutritional value so eat fresh. Anything you can buy in cans or bottles or bags have added ingredients to flavor the food or replace lost nutrition. Additives in manufactured foods won't help you lose fat. 

To sum up the post, I learned the hard way, that losing body fat is about changing the foods you eat and the drinks you drink. People who are thin and have little fat don't have to watch their diet. But if you want to lose fat you have to eat differently. 

Look for my podcast by searching “How Bad Do You Want to Lose Weight” on the podcast app that you use. You’ll see a piece of my book cover.

If you really want to lose your body fat look for my e-books at the websites listed below. You’ll get information on Healthy eating, exercise, and diet. Instead of spending hours on the internet reading dozens of posts, you can save time by picking up one of my e-books. 

There are two e-books. “How Bad Do You Want to Lose Weight?” is available at all the online bookstores selling for $3.99. Go to any of the websites below and search the title to find my e-book. This book gives you all you need to lose weight without spending money on gym memberships, diet plans, or meal plans. Look for my book. at Amazon.com, bn.com, iBooks, Kobo.com, Scribd.com, or Gardner Books in the U.K.

My new e-book is available on Smashwords.com and other online bookstores. Just type “getting to a Healthy Weight” in the search box at the top of the home page. 





No comments:

Post a Comment