Friday, September 11, 2015

High-Calorie Diets Lead to Diabetes

Everyone knows that high-calorie diets are tied to obesity and, too often, to type 2 diabetes. Now, a small study suggests that gorging on food can quickly tip the body into a "pre-diabetic" state. Gorging on food or "bingeing" is generally caused by skipping meals. Some dieters who don't really understand the way a person loses weight, will start trying to lose weight by skipping meals and I know people that only have one meal a day and generally it's the evening meal.

Some of these people aren't dieters, that just the way they eat. Coffee in the morning, no lunch and then after work they eat a big dinner. I remember when I was younger that's the way I was eating. When I was in my 20's, I was working manual labor and burning 1000's of calories a day, so I had lots of energy, I was thin and muscular and strong and the bad eating habits I developed didn't bother me.

When I was in my  30's, I owned my own business and I was still doing manual labor but the work was easier and I was able to eat more. I was eating pizza and pasta on a regular basis. I gained about 50 pounds in 5 or 6 years. This is the type of diet that will cause you to be pre-diabetic. Pizza, pasta and bread is too much processed foods. Yes, the food was home-made but it was all made from enriched flour and now we know that enriched flour is worse for your body then sugar. Sugar, real cane sugar can be burned for energy, so if your not consume a lot, your body can burn that type of sugar. Enriched wheat flour is a factory made product, only part of the product can be used by the body as fuel. Most of it will be stored as fat.

It's that type of diet that includes large amounts of enriched wheat flour that will cause a pre-diabetic state when you overeat. Generally people eating this type of diet will eat only small amounts of fruits and vegetables. It's a type of food addiction that I believe is causing a lack of nutrition and that will add body fat.

If your trying to lose weight you want to avoid any processed or enriched flour and you can buy products without wheat flour. The easiest way to find these products is to look in the gluten-free section at your grocery store. Gluten-free means no wheat and because today's wheat is not your grandmother's wheat, it's all enriched, it's better to avoid it.

In the "gluten-free" section, you can buy pizza crusts, pasta, bread, bagels, chips, pretzels and much more. Most of it is made with rice flour. Get use to reading labels, there's hundreds of new food products coming out, so read the labels and choice the best ones for your diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment