Tuesday, September 12, 2023

More Protein, Less Body Fat

 Americans seem to be very interested in protein these days. According to market research by Statista, more than 2 in 5 Americans drink protein shakes daily. But are protein shakes as beneficial as they're made out to be? Can they help you achieve your weight-loss goals? While protein is an essential macronutrient that plays a critical role in muscle growth, bone health, immune support and blood sugar control, it's also crucial for maintaining a healthy weight.

The Role of Protein in Weight Management

Protein offers several benefits that can help support your weight-loss goals. High-protein foods are highly satiating, meaning they help keep you full and satisfied for longer time periods, reducing the likelihood of overeating or excess snacking. Additionally, research shows protein can help preserve and build lean muscle mass.

During weight loss, it's common to lose both fat and muscle. However, according to a 2019 study published in Nutrients, getting enough protein may help minimize muscle loss and preserve muscle mass. This is because muscle mass is metabolically active and burns more calories than fat mass—even at rest.

"The thermic effect of food (TEF) refers to the energy expenditure required to digest, absorb and process nutrients from food," says Trista Best, RD, a registered dietitian with Balance One Supplements. "Protein has a higher TEF than carbohydrates and fats, meaning it requires more energy to metabolize. This increased energy expenditure contributes to the overall calorie burn and can support weight-management efforts."

I have a protein shake every morning, My doctor told me to pick a power that is plant-based. The power I use is a blend of Pea protein and Quinoa protein. The shake is 180 calories plus the calories I get in one banana and the coconut milk I add, the total calories is about 300. Besides the 30 gm of protein I also get potassium, some sodium, iron, and calcium. It's a well blanced breakfast that's quick and easy to make and you can take it with you.

I eat my main meal in the middle of the day around 1pm. I try and get 60 gm a day of protein so if I'm short grams I make another shake in the late afternoon. 

For inbetween snacks I carry fruit, like an apple or pear. I try and pick a fruit that's not messy. I don't eat excess calories like desserts (cakes, cookies, pie or ice cream) Except for hard cheese and Greek yogurt, I don't eat dairy and I have reduced my gluten intake. Also, I stopped drinking calories. This diet has reduced my calorie intake to less than 1500 calories a day and still gives me all my nutrients.

Follow me on X, the former twitter, @ray0369 to get a link to my lastest posts.

If you want to lose your body fat look for my e-books at the websites listed below. You’ll get information on Healthy eating, exercise, and diet. Instead of spending hours on the internet reading dozens of posts, you can save time by picking up one of my e-books. 

There are two e-books. “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight?” is available at all the online bookstores selling for $3.99. Go to any of the websites below and search the title to find my e-book. This book gives you all you need to lose weight without spending money on gym memberships, diet plans, or meal plans. 

Look for my first book at Amazon.com, bn.com, iBooks, Kobo.com, Scribd.com, or Gardner Books in the U.K.

My new e-book is available on Smashwords.com and other online bookstores. Just type “getting to a Healthy Weight” in the search box at the top of the home page. 

Look for my podcast by searching “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight” on the podcast app that you use. You’ll see a piece of my book cover.




No comments:

Post a Comment