Monday, October 16, 2023

Weight Management For Beginners

 Sometimes the posts I write are more for advanced readers. People who have been following my blog for years. Today I want to explain why beginners have soo much trouble losing weight.

If you follow my blog you know I don't believe in the diets you see advertised or any of the products being sold that make promises of fast weight loss or major weight loss. There is a new drug on the market for those who have to lose a lot of weight but it's prescription only so see your doctor about drugs. Everyone can't take weight loss drugs. 

I prefer the old-school methods. First, you need to know all about weight loss. Ordinary weight loss that most people will try is usually a temporary fix. You drop 10 pounds and slowly gain it back and then repeat the cycle over and over. Those traditional ways don't work. If you want to keep the weight off, you have to lose body fat. 

Most of us know that because the waist gets too big and your clothes don't fit and so you think everything will go back to normal if you lose a few pounds. So you start to cut back on food and that might help temporarily. But you're not losing fat. Ordinary weight loss consists of 70 muscle loss and 30 percent fat loss. That's the wrong way. How come that happens you might say? Because your body burns your food and if necessary some of your body mass to create as much energy as you need at that time. Your body is working in real-time. So, if you are running the body will burn more mass to create more energy. If you are just walking the body will only burn what you need to walk. 

If you have talked to a weight management expert he or she will probably encourage you to exercise and diet. That's the right way. You don't need a scale to keep track of weight loss. All you need is a tape measure. 

How can you tell if you have to lose weight? That's easy, The average height of a male is 5'10" or 70". If your waist measured at the naval is more than 35" you need to lose that extra fat. Body fat doesn't come off easily. The fat around the waist is very stubborn. As I wrote in the above paragraph, a person will lose fat proportionally throughout the body. In order to minimize muscle loss while you are losing weight you need to exercise to keep as much muscle as possible. 

Even if you stick to a great diet with nutritious foods and little fat, which is recommended for burning body fat, you can still lose muscle mass that's not being used. Only about 35% of your muscle mass is being used on a regular basis. The rest is becoming flabby and is easily burned to create energy. It is the body mass your body can burn to get the most energy with the least amount of effort. The body will burn some fat but burning body fat takes more time and energy because one ounce of fat burned only produces half the energy compared to burning muscle mass. 

One more thing you need to know is that your body needs to burn some fat every day to lubricate moving parts like joints and the heart. When I need to lose fat, which will happen to everyone at times, I go on a fat-free diet. I know that is almost impossible but that's the way I tricked my body into burning body fat instead of burning the food I eat. Losing body fat instead of just losing pounds is the way you keep weight off. 

You do have to go on a strict diet that you can stay with. This might mean you need to give up things like premade foods, Restaurant foods, and any drinks that have calories. Red meat contains animal fat and I had to stop all forms of animal fat. I am not eating dairy products. I am eating chicken breasts and vegetables every day. I take supplements like vitamin D and a Multivitamin. I make protein shakes with plant-based protein and coconut milk. I stay on this type of diet year-round and after several years I feel much healthier. I have a lot more energy and I feel like I'm half my age. The trick for me was to learn to live on fewer calories and to eat the low-calorie whole foods like vegetables and chicken breasts that give you a good supply of nutrients. That does mean you will be eating more of the same foods over and over every day. But that's okay, over time you will learn to eat foods you never ate before. Follow the food chart below for tips on foods for your new diet. This chart gives you many choices, the trick is to stick to it, don't give up.


Follow me on X, the former Twitter, @ray0369 to get a link to my latest posts.

If you want to lose your body fat look for my e-books at the websites listed below. You’ll get information on Healthy eating, exercise, and diet. Instead of spending hours on the internet reading dozens of posts, you can save time by picking up one of my e-books. There are two e-books. “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight?” is available at all the online bookstores selling for $3.99. Go to any of the websites below and search the title to find my e-book. This book gives you all you need to lose weight without spending money on gym memberships, diet plans, or meal plans. 

Look for my first book at Amazon.com, bn.com, iBooks, Kobo.com, Scribd.com, or Gardner Books in the U.K.

My new e-book is available on Smashwords.com and other online bookstores. Just type “getting to a Healthy Weight” in the search box at the top of the home page. 

Look for my podcast by searching “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight” on the podcast app that you use. You’ll see a piece of my book cover.





No comments:

Post a Comment