Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Am I Obese? How Do I Know?

Am I Obese? How Experts Define What Obesity Is

Obesity means having far too much body fat. It's about much more than your clothing size or how you look. It can seriously affect your health.
Your whole body feels it, from your joints to your heart, blood pressure, blood sugar, and other systems. The extra fat cells produce inflammation and various hormones, which boosts your odds of chronic medical conditions.
If it seems like those odds are stacked against you, remember that it's possible to beat them. The first step is to know where you stand.

Are You Obese?

You step on the scale and your doctor or nurse notes your weight. They might also measure your waist since it's especially risky to have too much belly fat.
If your doctor says you're overweight, that means "you're slightly over what's considered healthy," says Y. Claire Wang, MD. She's co-director of the Obesity Prevention Initiative at Columbia University.
Obesity is beyond being simply overweight. It's very common -- more than 1 in 3 U.S. adults are obese. If you're one of them, you can work to lose weight. Although it's not easy, dropping some of those extra pounds -- maybe fewer than you think -- starts to turn things around for you.

Surprising Reasons You're Gaining Weight

What Your BMI Says

For adults, experts usually define obesity based on body mass index, or BMI. This formula relates your weight to your height.
For instance, if two people weigh the same amount but one is taller than the other, the taller person will have a lower BMI. To find your body mass index, plug your height and weight into a BMI calculator.
If your BMI is:
  • Below 18.5: underweight
  • 18.5-24.9: normal
  • 25-29.9: overweight
  • 30 or higher: obese
If you're obese, your doctor might talk about the categories of obesity:
  • Obesity level l: BMI of 30-34.9
  • Obesity level ll: BMI of 35-39.9
  • Obesity level lll: BMI of 40 or higher, which some also call "morbid" obesity
You can also calculate your weight problem by the size of your waist in relation to your height. Your waist should be half your height. In other words, If you are 70 inches tall your waist should measure 35 inches at the navel. 



This guy is a little bigger than that. Losing weight is really about losing fat. If you lose fat the weight won't come back. If you lose just weight you may still have the fat; that happened to me. I lost 40 pounds before I realized I still had the fat. It took me a long time to figure out what I was doing wrong. After that, I lost another 25 pounds and the fat was gone. My BMI is down to 21 and I have more energy than my kids. Why, you might ask? Because I eat healthier. It's all about the food you eat.

I write several blogs and e-books, check out some of my other sites.
If you really want to lose your body fat than look for my e-books at the websites listed below. You'll get information on Healthy eating, exercise, and diet. Instead of spending hours on the internet reading dozens of posts, you can save time by picking up one of my e-books. 
There are two e-books. “How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight?” is available at all the online bookstores selling for $1.99. Go to any of the websites below and search the title to find my e-book. This book gives you all you need to lose weight without spending money on gym memberships, diet plans or meal plans. Look for my book. at Amazon.com, B&N.com, iBooks, Kobo.comScribd.com, or Gardner Books in the U.K.
My new e-book is available on Smashwords.com, just type “getting to a Healthy Weight” in the search box at the top of the home page. I’ll give you a discount coupon you can use at checkout. (PJ42H) not case-sensitive the price is $1.99 w/coupon

No comments:

Post a Comment