Saturday, July 7, 2018

Why I Workout After The Kids Go To Bed

I copied this post for you because it's a misconception that we have to exercise in the morning. I always do yoga at night because it helps me to sleep. It relaxes me. I actually do about 20 minutes of yoga twice a day, but that's me and I don't do yoga to lose weight.


By Charity Curley Mathews

My baby weight isn’t going to lose itself -- and believe me, I’ve tried waiting around to find out. I’ve had three babies in the last four years, which means the same 25 pounds has come and gone three times. Problem is, the other 10 extra pounds I've had for years hasn’t gone anywhere, either. Here it is, right around my waist, enjoying life in elastic pants.

This ladies weight problem is more a fat problem. She needs to lose the excess fat and get her shape back again.

It makes me feel better emotionally. Even though I’d rather collapse on the couch the moment all three of my little rascals are tucked in tight, finding the gumption to fire up a fitness DVD or head out for a walk gives me a sense of freedom. When I start carving out time for myself, feel better taking care of me, like our household isn’t quite as chaotic as it usually seems. Life with young children is tiring, and when you’ve been dealing all day with tantrums, pull-up diapers and tiny people who insist on dressing themselves even though they can't fasten buttons, it’s easy to sink into an emotional rut by nighttime. 

It makes me feel better physically. By now, everyone knows the chemical benefits of exercise. Working out is scientifically proven to provide endorphins, the same kind you get while sneaking a big piece of dark chocolate while the kids are playing in the other room. The difference being, exercise endorphins actually whittle your waistline, instead of expanding it. 
I can focus on two of my needs at once. Ever the multitasking mom, I make sure that even my workouts are twofers: Since private time is at a precious premium, I throw in a fitness DVD and then I turn the volume down and fire up a fun show or podcast. It’s a system that combines genuine entertainment with physical stimulation -- and both on the cheap. No wonder I’m loving my routine! 
It's an automatic out from my kids' bedtime clutches. When my 3-year-old climbs on my back, demanding one more snuggle before bed, I can truthfully tell her, “I’ve got to do my exercises now. Love you!” And she totally gets it. Love that kid. Sticker for her.

It keeps me loose. I’ve always been an active person, but I've never been particularly thin. That’s a whole other ball of wax, one that involves eating a lot less, especially given my height and metabolism (sea slug-ish). Right now, after baby number three, my fitness goals are purely focused on moving all my body’s parts every day, and noticing how good it feels. My creaky neck, that pinch behind my left shoulder blade and oh, those hips... ouch! What they need is movement, strengthening and stretching.
It makes exercising seem like a treat instead of a chore. Ever since my kids were born, I’ve been a work-from-homer instead of an online executive leading a team from the comfort of a fancy office. Nowadays, my time spent being a professional and my time spent being a mom totally blur together, to the point where my average day goes something like this: Interview an expert for an upcoming article. Throw a load of clothes in washing machine. Edit photos for Foodlets.com. Check emails. Get dinner going. Throw clothes in dryer. Set up a conference call with new consulting client.With a schedule like this, I find that it’s honestly just too tiring to consider doing ONE MORE THING at the end of the day -- unless I make it feel like a reward.
For a while, I really resented the whole idea of having to stick to a nighttime fitness routine. Wait, now my "special thing" is exercising? Since when is that “fun”? Then I had a change of heart. Life requires effort. Should one of my daughters ever find herself in a similar situation someday, I'll be able to tell her: “Make the effort. Make yourself healthy.” Because I've learned from personal experience that along the way, she'll be happier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My new ebook is in online bookstores now. You can go to Amazon.com and type the title in the search bar: How Bad Do You Want To Lose Weight? The price is $3.99. I think you'll find it interesting. I write about myself and my battle with weight and all the mistakes I made and how you can avoid the mistakes and lose the unwanted body fat.
The ebook is also at http://barnesandnoble.com and they have a special introductory offer right now $2.99. Also available on iBooks, Kobo, Scribd, and others worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment